THE FOUNDATIONAL BELIEFS OF NORTHWEST ARE AS FOLLOWS…
God is the creator and ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three personalities; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co equal and are one God.
- God the Father
God the Father is known as the first person of the Trinity. When we sin we offend God the Father and he is the one who grants forgiveness when we seek it. The vision of creation and redemption emanates from the Father and it is through the Father that the Son and Holy Spirit fulfill their roles in the Godhead.
- Jesus Christ
Jesus is the Son of God. He is co equal with the Father. The role of Jesus was to reconcile creation to the Father. Jesus, born of a virgin, lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on the cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. Without the resurrection our faith is meaningless. He ascended to heaven’s glory and will return again some day to earth to reign as King of kings and Lord of lords. The role of Jesus will be to rule the new heavens and the new earth.
- Holy Spirit:
The Holy Spirit is co equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make people aware of their need for Jesus. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides each Christian with spiritual gifts and the power necessary for living, understanding spiritual truth and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer at least one spiritual gift for the benefit of the church. As Christians we seek to live under His control daily.
The Bible is God’s written word to us. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and Christian living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth and without error.
- Human Beings:
People are made in the image of God to be like Him in character. People are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although every person has tremendous potential for good, we are all born separated from fellowship with God, a situation we call ‘sin’. This separation from God causes all of our problems in life.
Salvation is God’s free gift to us but we must repent to accept it. Acceptance of salvation is our responsibility. We can never make up for our sin by self-development or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. When we turn from our pride (self-ruled life) and turn to Jesus in faith we are saved, freed from the power of sin and cleansed in spirit. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus into their life.
- Eternal Assurance:
Because God gives us eternal life through Jesus, the (true) believer who perseveres in their faith is secure in that salvation is for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God not by the self effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives us this (security) assurance.
People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. Hell is where the misery of the absence of God is eternally and irrevocably experienced. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life and eternal bliss. Heaven and hell are real places of eternal experience.
- To focus on bringing the gospel to the unsaved within the community of north western Sydney by being bold in our ownership and sharing of it
- We are to develop each person along a path of maturity and love them into each new step
- We will lead people to growth within the disciplines of Discipleship, Fellowship, Mission, Ministry and Worship
- We are to have a ministry to each age group and within each age group to each area of life through a gradual process over the years
- We are to concentrate our ministry, first to Children and Young People and then to adults
- We are to live the balance between evangelical theology and Spirit-filled experience, enjoying the diversity of practice and belief
- We are to base our teaching and practices on what is revealed in the Scriptures without removing or adding anything to what is revealed in Scripture
- We are to be known for our love and acceptance of all persons, no matter their background and history. All will be encouraged in their journey forwards to healing and wholeness through the power of God
- We will be a church that has a strong emphasis on contemporary music and practices within our services with an emphasis on striving for excellence
- We aim to become a large church that seeks to be a nurturer of other churches
- Our Christian maturity will lead us into the considered but active pursuit of justice, advocacy and social responsibility both here and throughout the world
The Apostles Creed
As stated in the Apostles Creed:
We believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
Born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried;
He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of God, the Father Almighty;
From there He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Christian Church, the Communion of the Saints, forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.
The people of Northwest Community Baptist Church will never force these beliefs on anyone but will happily share them with any person willing to listen.